Our ‘Lock Down’ Creations

We would like to share some of the creations that have kept our members busy during the Covid-19 lock down. It has been very difficult to adjust to this regime where we do not meet with friends, stay at home and can only shop for our craft supplies online! However, crafters are always resourceful and usually have a stash or a queue of UFOs (unfinished objects) to temp their appetite.

Lori  wanted to share a doll that she has finished.  This is based on a design from a workshop with Libby Smith.

Joy. Having cleaned some cupboards, and even the oven! I pulled out a UFO from the stash and decided to finish it.  I had put it away in favour of something else, but I have no idea what or why!  I took a snap of it, then when finished I took another photo.  So the work kept me busy for quite a while and when it was finished, I felt at a bit of a loose end.  My husband cured me of that by buying me another Rajmahal kit for my birthday, so I will match the colours to make a pair to put on each side of the bed.  Yes – I have to admit to using kits, which is a big “no-no” to some embroiderers, but I don’t mind.  So now I am off on another project.

 

Carol.  I’ve been hand embroidering this panel that I purchased from Stacey Chapman in January. It is nearly finished.

Here are the first 4 stages of my tiger design that will become a cushion to sell.

Julia.  I have been in contact with former fashion students many of whom have had their studies paused or have been furloughed from work and they have also been sewing scrubs like you and I.  I can only sew 5 sets of scrubs per week as I am working full time, so I sew in the evenings and on the weekends.

During any other spare time I have made a dress I cut out for myself, “finished” a Libby Smith fertility doll, started a quilt for a single bed and I have lots of other projects hanging around to finish … we are not going away for half term now so I will be getting on with these projects next week … I love working in my garden studio, especially in this lovely weather.

It has been a challenge trying to teach a practical subject remotely, I can tell you!  Our second years have finished their studies early, so I will only have my first years for the rest of the term.

Dora. I started with an apron that I block printed.The inspiration for this came from a meeting with Bev Caleno last September. I then embellished some of the printing with free motion embroidery. Then a book cover, a bonnet for a virtual Easter Bonnet Parade, needlelace leaves that I started with Kay Dennis at our residential last year and finally the completion of two kits that I bought at recent craft fairs. Still working on the robin for the stumpwork!  Needless to say that I didn’t get much housework done.